WHITE COLLAR CRIMINAL AND REGULATORY DEFENSE
David B. Shanies has represented clients in a wide range of cases and investigations involving criminal and regulatory authorities, as well as corporate internal investigations.
David has experience handling cases and investigations relating to securities, commodities, accounting, insider trading, bribery and corruption, money laundering, conspiracy, fraud, marketing and pricing practices, and antitrust. David is equally experienced with White Collar-related matters, including civil and criminal forfeiture, parallel civil litigation, professional discipline and licensing proceedings, and post-resolution compliance. His work has regularly involved the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and other federal, state, and foreign law enforcement and regulatory authorities.
David's White Collar experience includes:
- Representation of the former CFO of global law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP in criminal and SEC enforcement proceedings
- Representation of numerous individuals in the global criminal and regulatory investigations involving Libor, Forex, and ISDAfix, including executives of financial institutions that include Barclays, BNP Paribas, Citibank, and JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Representation of the former COO of Westar Energy Inc. in the so-called "Enron of Kansas" criminal case and related civil matters
- Representation of Marubeni Corporation in DOJ Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation and enforcement proceedings
- Confidential internal investigations of leading financial, banking, and educational institutions
- Representation of construction company CFO in state court prosecution
- Representation of medical services company CEO in DOJ prosecution
- Representation of JPMorgan Chase & Co. executive in Federal Energy Regulatory Commission proceedings
- Representation of securities investment companies and principals in SEC enforcement litigation
- Representation of international non-profit in state fraud and money laundering investigation
- Confidential investigations conducted on behalf of the SIPA Trustee for Lehman Brothers Inc. and MF Global Inc.
- Representation of a defendant in a federal cybercrime prosecution
- Representation of a global banking company in Massachusetts Securities Division insider trading investigation
- Representation of current and former employees of a national non-profit organization in criminal investigation and prosecution